Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
Hotels near LAX
Los Angeles International Airport is the primary airport serving the Greater Los Angeles Area, the second-most populated metropolitan area in the United States.
Elevation: 125' (38 m)
Address: 1 World Way, Los Angeles, CA 90045
Phone: (310) 646-5252
Hours: Open all Monday.
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the busiest airport in the Greater Los Angeles area. Other airports including Bob Hope Airport, John Wayne Airport, Long Beach Airport, LA/Ontario International Airport and Palm Springs International Airport are also located in this region.
In 1928, the Los Angeles City Council selected 640 acres (1.00 sq mi; 260 HA) in the southern part of Westchester’s the site of a new airport for the city. The fields of wheat, barley and lima beans were converted into dirt landing strips without any terminal buildings. It was named Mines Field for William W. Mines, the real estate agent who arranged the deal.
The first structure, Hangar No. 1, was erected in 1929 and is listed on the National register of Historic Places.
Nearby Attractions and Amenities of LAX airport
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Corporate Pointe business offices
- West L.A. Community College
- Howard Hughes Promenade (shopping, dining and movies) is nearby on Sepulveda Boulevard.
- Westfield Culver City Shopping Center (formerly Fox Hills Mall) - a large indoor mall with national brand stores, a food court and restaurants. (Renovated and reopened in 2009)
- Fox Hills Shopping Plaza - a large strip mall with shops, restaurants and a pharmacy.
- Marina Del Rey is about 10 minutes away on the 90 freeway. There you will find shopping, dining and harbor cruises at Fisherman's Village, as well as beach activities at Dockweiler Beach.